Frozen Heat: Read Chapter 1 Now

The fourth installment in the Best Selling Nikki Heat series is on the way. Richard Castle’s “Frozen Heat” will hit shelves September 11 but you can pre-order and take advantage of Amazon‘s price guarantee right now.

The first chapter of the novel is available to read online.

“Oh, yeah, that’s it, Rook,” said Nikki Heat. “That’s what I want. Just like that.” A trickle of sweat rolled down his neck to his heaving chest. He groaned and bit down on his tongue. “Don’t stop yet. Keep it going. Yes.” She hovered over him, lowering her face just inches from his so she could whisper. “Yes. Work it just like that. Nice, easy rhythm. That’s it. How does it feel?” Jameson Rook stared into her eyes intently just before he pinched his into a squint and moaned. Then his muscles went slack and he dropped his head backward. Nikki frowned and brought herself upright. “You can’t do that to me. I cannot believe you’re stopping.”

Comments

1. Why do I have a feeling this is a tease inspired by “Cuffed”? :)

• I read the whole chapter on ABC.com a liitle while ago, so I’m not so sure that it is inspired by “Cuffed”. And apperances are decieving – this scene doesn’t take place where most people think it does, but it is still a great start to this book. I have the other three books, and am eagerly waiting for book 4 to come out ! :)

2. I can just imagine Becketts reaction to the first page…”Really Castle? How old are you?” haha. Of i’m really interested in how she will feel about the murder.

It feels like these books get better and better.

3. wish4always says:

I can’t wait for this book to arrive. I love that they are fast paced and get to a point quickly. easy reads but still have the element of surprise in them.

There’s no getting away from picturing Beckett and Co. as the characters in the book. Fun.

4. musiclover says:

Has anyone read the first chapter yet? [spoiler]I think the person inside the suitcase is Nikki’s mom[/spoiler]

5. musiclover said

I don’t think it is. If I remember correctly that not how she described it in earlier books. I’d have to go look.

6. Yay, chapter 2 of Frozen Heat has just been released!! run

7. spygirl said

Yay, chapter 2 of Frozen Heat has just been released!! http://castletv.net/wp-content/sp-resources/forum-smileys/running_happy.gif

One thing I hope we see in season 5 is more insight into what Beckett thinks about the book. I can just imagine her reaction to some of the parts we’ve read in the first 2 chapters. Not to mention, Castle get’s really meta and it’s cute…

[spoiler]When it died down, he swiped at one of his eyes, swallowed hard, smiled at the
    gathering, and said, “Garsh, do you do this for everybody who delivers coffee?” During their
    laughter, he crossed to Nikki and handed her a paper cup. “Here ya go. Grande skim latte with
    two pumps of sugar-free vanilla.”
    “Perfect,” she said,
    and as soon as she had, Randall Feller‟s face peered around from
    behind Detective Ochoa, wearing a slighted expression.”….
    “Listen, I was wondering. If you hadn‟t partnered up with anyone yet . . .” He had let it
    hang there, leaving her to figure out how to deal with it, when Rook swooped in.
    “Actually, I was thinking Detective Heat and I would pair up on this case.”
    Feller looked Rook up and down like he had just jumped out of a clown car. “Really.”
    And then he turned back to Nikki. “I was thinking a veteran detective might work out better than .
    . . a ride-along writer. Maybe that‟s just me.”
    “You mean, the ride-along writer who got shot saving her life?”
    Nikki said, “Um, OK, listen.”….“I mean, the veteran detective who got shot saving her life,” said Feller, pulling back his
    big shoulders and taking a half step to Rook.
    “I know how to settle this,” Rook said. “Rochambeau.”
    “You‟re on.”
    Nikki said, “Seriously? No, you two are not doing rock, paper, scissors.”
    [/spoiler]

8. Alie said

musiclover said

Chapter 2 answers that question.

9. Alie said

spygirl said

two pumps of sugar-free vanilla.”
    “Perfect,” she said,
    and as soon as she had, Randall Feller‟s face peered around from
    behind Detective Ochoa, wearing a slighted expression.”….
    “Actually, I was thinking Detective Heat and I would pair up on this case.”
    . . a ride-along writer. Maybe that‟s just me.”
    “You mean, the ride-along writer who got shot saving her life?”
    big shoulders and taking a half step to Rook.
    “I know how to settle this,” Rook said. “Rochambeau.”
    “You‟re on.”
    Nikki said, “Seriously? No, you two are not doing rock, paper, scissors.”
    [/spoiler]

I hope we see more of that in season 5, too.
    I’m also curious about the dedication for Frozen Heat and who will be the focus.