This is a member contributed article. Would you like to submit an article or episode review? Use our submission form to contribute.
Note from the Editor: Despite what various websites and individuals are trying to make you believe, there’s no reason to think this will be Castle’s last season. The show has been profitable for the network and ABC’s president Paul Lee recently emphasized that they love the show and want it back. It is true that cast contracts are up for renewal this year and this has caused some concern among fans, but let me just say this… If negotiations are taking place (and they are) then that means the cast have not said “No.” That’s the bottom line, negotiations are just about ironing out the details. Of course, this is the television industry and anything can happen, but it’s time to show a little faith and stop listening to rumors and people with an ulterior motive.
I look forward to sharing the news when Castle is renewed, because I’m sure I’ll be doing just that very soon.
Q’Min (Admin), our revered leader and instigator of this site, asked a few of us to put together a list of 10 reasons to renew Castle. After much goofing off, yanking of chains, and other fol-de-rol, we came up with a list and chose a representative to put it together. As luck would have it, I got up to answer a call of nature, and upon my return, found the list in my inbox, with the instructions to “make it look like something…” I don’t know what this is going to look like… but here it is.
Ten Reasons to Renew Castle
- It’s a great show that appeals to men, women and children. It cuts across all sorts of economic, geographic, and social boundaries, appealing to a broad spectrum of humanity. Not many television shows are character-driven in the first place. Castle manages to bring something new to their story through character development, instead of relying on more and more shocking plot twists.
- As long as we believe the characters are alive, there will be more story to tell. Every week, we come to the end of another episode and ask, “What’s going to happen next?” As long as we care, there is still story to be written.
- The longer the show continues, the more curious we have become about the supporting characters. We have been given glimpses into Martha’s past, but what of her career? How did Kate and Esposito meet? What about Lanie’s back-story? How has everything that has happened to Richard Castle since he met Detective Beckett affected Alexis? What about Captain Victoria Gates and Jim Beckett?
- The points above would not be points at all if not for the best writers working in television. Andrew Marlowe put together a crack team of writers and continued to build his staff, even as people left for new opportunities. Andrew himself stepped down as show-runner, leaving the reins in the capable hands of David Aman…and the story just keeps going.
- Of course, attracting and keeping the best cast with the best chemistry deserves mention. Dare I also add the ability to find outstanding guest players week in and week out? Castle provides a comfortable, collaborative environment that attracts some of the best working actors in Hollywood.
- The whole show, with its killer shooting schedule, relies on a most professional crew of cameras, directors, grips, lighting techs, sound men, stylists, costumers, and musicians. Not only do they put together a small movie every 8 days… they manage to find time to tweet with fans, post behind the scenes pictures, and make all of us feel like we are part of the process.
- The most valuable asset in any business is its people. ABC has struck gold with the collaborative team of lead by Andrew Marlowe and David Amann. As writers and producers, they have proven they know what people want to see on their televisions.
- With domestic and international syndication, books and games, and other marketing opportunities, the network loves the show as much as the fans, albeit, for different reasons.
- It’s hard to imagine anything else following Dancing With The Stars pulling the ratings that Castle does. Castle consistently out-performs its lead-in, a rare achievement for a show in the last hour of Prime Time, providing consistent ratings during a time of upheaval in viewing habits.
- The more shows in the can, the bigger the check for syndication deals with cable providers, digital distributors, and other outlets. It will also make a more impressive BluRay® box set if we have ten complete seasons with commentary and blooper reels… the marketing possibilities have barely been tapped.
That’s my list of Ten Reasons Castle Will be Renewed. If you disagree, feel free to make your own list. Put this one in any order you like. I have no preference for order… in a case like this, one reason for renewal is as good as another. I suspect the studio who is in charge of next Fall’s schedule won’t need as many as ten. Any three or four of the above should do the trick.