Member Article: Castle Fans Unite!

This is a member contributed article. Would you like to submit an article or episode review? Use our submission form to contribute.

———

One of the greatest things about being a fan of a television show is the camaraderie amongst fans. I have witnessed what kinds of amazing things can be done when fans bond over a show and decide to do good things in the spirit of said show.

I love Castle. I follow many of the cast and crew on Twitter. I have noticed how friendly and generous those cast and crew members have been, tweeting, answering questions,and in a few cases, reaching out to fans who seem to be having a tough time. Which is why a few recent events and behavior of some fans on Twitter have really bothered me. Bothered me so much, in fact, that I was compelled to write this.

We are all in this together. We all love the show, and whether you are a bigger fan of one actor than another really should not be something to argue about. The entire cast and crew work together every day to make a good quality show that we can enjoy every week. They accomplish this because they work together, and everyone does the job that they were hired to do. That is truly the magic of television and film, the end product is the combination of many people doing specific jobs.

After long days of doing this, the cast and crew sometimes choose to get on twitter or other social media sites and answer questions from fans. I have seen too many fans lash out at cast members because they said something that was misconstrued. Suddenly, there is a war between actors fan bases. Which makes absolutely no sense.

We should not be fighting with each other, and we definitely should not be putting words into the actors’ mouths and trying to stir up trouble. We should be supportive of the cast and crew, and thankful that they take the time to interact with fans. We are very lucky.

So I am asking, as a fellow fan, can we please all get along and unite to support this wonderful show? Instead of wasting any more energy throwing stones, why don’t we take that energy to let the cast and crew know how much they are appreciated?

About Kirlojo

I am a fan. Plain and Simple.

Comments

1. Very well said. I couldn’t agree more. I find it very disturbing to see the hatred some fans spew forth when one actor says or does something that they don’t agree with.

Be grateful that the actors choose to take time to interact. They don’t have to, and if they receive a constant backlash for their efforts they may just stop altogether, and that would be sad.

So, I join you in saying “Can’t we all just get along?” Please?

2. Leigh Baker says:

I agree 100% ! Where there is unity…there is strength. I love the entire cast and crew of Castle! Let’s just get along.

3. TracyLee55 says:

Kirlojo , well said, and it needed to be said! Like you I do not understand when fan’s get nasty toward each other and especially a cast member. We are a fortunate lot indeed, that the actors, writers, crew member et al respond to our inquiries in what ever form they choose. Many in Hollywood, consider “fans” a bother, so for us to have the Castle Company be on our side is amazing. We should always return the favor.

As you stated, we each have our favorite actors and characters, and nothing wrong with that…. well guess what folks? The actors, writers and crew have theirs too. We are all entitled to our opinion, and should be feel safe to express it without a bazillion nasty comments made. When that happens, I am embarressed for us. 99 % of the Castle fans are (just this site shows that), so let’s not let that tiny 1% speak for us.

Thank you again for a balanced article, and plea to just be united in our love for “The Best TV Show Ever”!!

• TracyLee55 says:

Sorry for the typos, meant to say 99% of the Castle fans are wonderful, compassionate, ad very supporative of each other. Look at all the threads on Castletv.net and you can see that. I mostly hang in “Trueheart’s Castledom”…. and like all the other threads, we do care for our Castle people and each other.

4. Kirlojo, I couldn’t have said it better. Like TracyLee, I hang out (a lot) in the Trueheart’s Castledom forum, and it’s so wonderful to chat with so many people from around the world who are so friendly and genuine… and I met them all because of “Castle” and this website (thanks again, Admin!).

My heart breaks when “fans” attack the cast and crew for what they say or don’t say, do or don’t do. We’ve put them so high up on a pedestal… perhaps too high. Too many people forget that they are human, that they have opinions, that they make mistakes. Are they not allowed to do be who they are?

We are all in love with a TV Show that has a cast that (by all accounts) are extremely friendly, intelligent, easy-going, fun, giving, and self-less. Look at all of the charities they support… from Castle Con and Comicon, to ATP, to malaria and cancer fundraisers and everything in between. I have yet to see any of the cast appear in a trash magazine for bad / socially unacceptable reasons. Heck, Molly replies to almost every single Tweet sent to her, and Stana apparently replies to every request for an autographed photo (in due time).

Being a fan of “Castle” should be something to be proud of… as you said: “Why can’t we all just get along?!” :D

5. alanapaints says:

I heartily agree. Mean people only make themselves look bad. Even though I know trolling’s just a misplaced bid for attention, I’ve experienced it only once and it really did bother me.

As a wise man once wrote, or at least quoted :
    “It costs nothing to say something kind. Even less to shut up altogether.”

Truth is, I haven’t read all of his tweets but every single one I have… has brought a smile to my face, and the same for other cast members. That’s something to aspire to.

6. I whole heartedly agree! I think the Castle fandom is a great family. The best thing we can do is use that to support the cast and crew that work so hard to create this amazing thing we all love. Belittling them (and each other) is a waste of time and energy. It is a team effort. Without ALL of them, this would not be possible.

7. aussiecastlefan says:

I have made alot of friends even though | have never met any of you. It is great to have so many that I have something really good in common with. Going through the site and reading all the great posts make my day more enjoyable and hopefully one day I will actually meet some of you wonderful people.

8. southerngirl says:

Very much agree with your feelings. Real fans are supportive of the final product – the episodes. We are not going to agree with everyone and that’s just how life works. My circle of friends include folks who have different opinions from me and I respect them and learn from them. I think as fans our focus should be to support our favorite show so that its popularity continues to grow and we can enjoy it for years to come.

9. amen. after witnessing one argument too many i admit to having stepped back somewhat this hiatus and have not been participating as much as i used to =(

• At least on THIS site that kind of thing is kept to a minimum.. I hope you feel free to participate in our chat & forums

10. Kirlojo.

Please consider that through this type of behavior could lead to the loss of a great program and our commitment to the writers, actors & crew –
    You are left (God forbid) with reality t.v. and big brother? {I am off now to wash my mouth out}.

11. Kirlojo.

I agree I am also just an (English) fan and 100% think this should stop! We are all ‘Caskett’s’ and should remember that without the writers, actors and crew there is no ‘Castle’ and we the fans will be the greatest losers, emotionally, spiritually and more great stories are lost.

12. Thank you for posting this! I couldn’t agree more! We’re a fandom! We should be getting along, not arguing over stupid stuff!

13. So happy to hear the respect and enjoyment you express about this show. It has great writing, a tremendous cast, who really seem to get along very well. It has fun,humour,sadness, joy…you name it.(by the way we spell humour like that in Canada!!) ha!! Just relax and enjoy the sheer entertainment of this show and appreciate the time ,effort and skill required to put together such an enjoyable and entertaining hour of television.

Trackbacks

1. [...] they like the best. Made odder since the 2 main characters are a couple. Also has incidents of fans lashing out at the actors over twitter. This fandom does also have many welcoming & accepting fans as [...]